The University’s Diversity Action Plan guides our efforts to achieve seven key goals: communicate clearly and affirmatively the University’s commitment to diversity; make substantial progress on our Affirmative Action goals; retain employees of difference; value diversity as an essential component of the curriculum; increase the percentage of undergraduate and graduate students of color; retain those students through degree completion; and offer programming to sustain a community of respect for differences.
• Appoint a President’s Council on Diversity and Inclusion.
• Make diversity and inclusion central to the Strategic Visioning Process.
• Update Diversity Action Plan for UMaine.
• Upgrade the director of diversity, equity and inclusion position and establish a reporting relationship to the Provost and other senior administrators.
• Complete a diversity, inclusion, and equity campus climate study.
• Continue to support the Provost’s Council on Advancing Women Faculty.
• Consider the development of a Provost’s Council on advancing underrepresented Faculty.
• Restore Diversity and Inclusion to the Equal Opportunity Office title and responsibility set.
• Evaluate the status of the Diversity Opportunity Hire Fund.
• Develop and launch a statewide higher education collaborative for diversity, equity, and inclusion for idea and resource sharing. Make this an issue for Maine.
• Establish and fund a diversity excellence fund.
• Utilize Affirmative Action Plan information to guide campus job searches.
• Develop a Diversity and Inclusivity Statement for university website in addition to general non - discrimination statement.
• Build a cohering web site for all relevant information and material.
• Adopt a diversity, inclusivity, and equity language set for campus communications.
• Continue utilization and further adoption as appropriate of the NCAA guidelines “Best Practices in Achieving Excellence Through Diversity and Inclusion”, continued annual completion and promulgation of NCAA required demographic analysis, and annual completion and publication of the NCAA Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act gender equity study.
• Review admissions and enrollment goals to reflect institutional goals around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Dana, Robert, "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at UMaine Action Plan" (2020). General University of Maine Publications. 2068.
publisher's version of the published document
Rights and Access Note
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for non-commercial uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s). For more information, contact Special Collections.