An image scanned from a black and white photograph dated April 10, 1949. The photo was taken on a trip to Plymouth, Massachusetts, and appears to be a photo of a historic photograph, perhaps one on display, of the Hammatt Billings Canopy that stood over part of the rock between 1867 and 1920. Sources indicate this would have been long demolished by 1949, the scallop shells at the top of the monument having been moved to the Forefathers Monument and the rest of the stonework discarded. The original photographer's caption is simply, "The Rock, 1920."
Rights and Access Note
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions on publication. For information about the process and fees for obtaining higher resolution scans or another file format, contact Special Collections.
Requested credit line: Image courtesy of Special Collections, Raymond H.
Fogler Library, DigitalCommons@UMaine,
MS 156, Franklin Eaton Photograph Collection
monuments, Plymouth, Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts, New England, Northeast, Hammatt Billings Canopy