An image scanned from a photograph of the Donnaganah Hotel in Orono, Maine. As noted by A. Douglas Glanville in Old Orono Oddments, the hotel, sometimes also spelled Donagannah or Donnagannah, was built and operated for a time in the 1850s by P. T. Whitney and was located on the east side of Main Street (p.23). It was one of several buildings pictured in the margins in the 1855 map by D. S. Osborn, where the owner is identified as P. D. Whitney. The building later burned down.
A large crowd has gathered in the street and on the balconies of the hotel, and a cart appears in the foreground advertising ice cream.
Rights and Access Note
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions on publication. For information about the process and fees for obtaining higher resolution scans or another file format, contact Special Collections.
Requested credit line: Image courtesy of Special Collections, Raymond H.
Fogler Library, DigitalCommons@UMaine,
MS 248, Barbara Dunn Hitchner Papers
Orono, Maine, businesses, hotels, downtown, Penobscot County, Whitney family