Local History, Maine History, Tourists, Tourism, Hospitality, Hotels, Motels, Shepherding, Shepherd, Lambing, Fishing, Lobstering, Lobstermen, Antiques and Collectibles, Reuse Economy
Human Ecology | Social and Cultural Anthropology | Sociology of Culture | Work, Economy and Organizations
“When Saint Peter says to me, ‘You ready?’ I’ll say, ‘Wait ’til I git my tray.’ ...Seems to me I grew right up in that hotel racket. I don’t hardly know what ’tis to be tired. One day a fellow at Shawmut said, ‘Gladys, you don’t look like yourself. Are you well?’ I said, ‘What the hell are you talkin’ about? I can outwork any three people you have.’” — Gladys Hutchins McLean
- 2 Locals in a Resort Town Living in a resort town wears down your sense of humor. Locals concoct pranks and jokes to restore it.
- 4 Captain and the Parking Lot George Harriman (the Captain) presides over the first pay parking lot in Kennebunkport, the town’s most controversial “hot spot.”
- 10 Born in “That Hotel Racket” When Saint Peter calls Gladys McLean, she has her answer ready: “Wait ’til I git my tray!”
- 20 Jenny, Island Shepherdess Jenny Cirone raises 250 sheep on three islands off the coast of Maine. She also lobsterfishes.
- 29 Island Sheep Salt’s new photographic center section is a study of island sheep raising by Lynn Kippax, Jr.
- 37 The Sweep Driving sheep on Maine’s islands dates back to the 1600s and continues today. Jenny Cirone and her crew show how it is done.
- 54 Casey at the Wheel Fishing with Casey Stender is far from dull. “Mother Ocean,” he roars, “I heard you call...”
- 61 My Yard Sale Television Set Thomas Bradbury’s column, “Deacon’s Bench,” deals with a summer tradition in Maine.
- 63 Short Takes
Rights and Access Note
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Download Full Text (51.1 MB)
Salt Institute for Documentary Studies, "Salt, Vol. 7, No. 1" (1985). Salt Magazine Archive. 23.