Level of Access
Under this three-year project, funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), libraries will collaborate to make decisions about the storage, retention, and preservation of print materials (both books and journals) as well as look for ways to integrate digital editions into a state-wide catalog. This will help alleviate space concerns while ensuring that users continue to have equal or greater access to the information.
The project’s goals are:
- To develop a strategy for a statewide, multi-type library program for managing, storing and preserving print collections among public and private institutions to achieve greater efficiencies and extend the power of every dollar invested in collections and library facilities.
- To expand access to existing digital book collections by developing print-on-demand (POD) and e-book-on-demand (EOD) services to support long-term management of a shared print collection, and the integration of digital resources with print collections.
- To formalize organizational agreements, establish a budget, and develop policies essential for the maintenance of shared print and digital collections, access to them, and responsibility for sharing them.
Activities that will aid in achieving these goals include:
- Perform an analysis of the “collective collection” to identify unique items, items owned by multiple libraries, institutional strengths, etc.;
- Implementation of a Print-on-Demand service;
- Development of a retention policy for the number of copies for each title, and for identical print and digital titles;
- Development and implementation of a policy for preservation of unique and rare print materials.
Rights and Access Note
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Rollins, Deborah; Guthro, Clem; McDade, Barbara; and Revitt, Matthew, "Maine Shared Collections Strategy Advisory Board Update Report, November 2013" (2013). University of Maine Office of Research Administration: Grant Reports. 45.
James Jackson Sanborn, Technology Director
Sara Amato, Systems Librarian
Bangor Public Library
Maine State Library
Portland Public Library
University of Southern Maine