September 2011-August 2012
Level of Access
0918018 Submitted by Maine EPSCoR EPS-0918018
The North East Cyberinfrastructure Consortium has finished its third year of Track-2 funding. In this report we summarize our overall progress and progress for Year 3.
In 2006, we began to organize as the five North Eastern EPSCoR states (ME, NH, VT, Rl, DE) around cyberinfrastructure. The box below describes the state of cyberinfrastructure in 2008 by which time we had developed the North East Cyberinfrastructure Consortium to position ourselves for grant opportunities that would help us to address our cyber deficits.
The Track-2 collaborative proposal submitted in January 2009 was designed to address these barriers in order enable our researchers to access and share data and compute resources that will make them more competitive and allow their research to have a broader impact on society.
Summary of our goals:
• Provide cyberinfrastructure for research and education in the North East EPSCoR region by creating fiber networks within and between jurisdictions;
• Establish regional distributed data centers to support cyber-enabled research
• Develop human infrastructure to create a virtual organization for distributed bioinformatics and data analysis;
• Launch pilot cyber-enabled research projects to develop the regional expertise to analyze genomics data, especially deep sequencing data, in a distributed manner;
• Encourage pilot projects to foster collaborations around water research across the region for future collaborations;
• Establish collaborations on cyber education in order to foster cyber-knowledgeable workforce development, diversity and outreach;
• Leverage resources to accomplish our goals
Rights and Access Note
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Eckardt, Michael; Nemeth, Vicki; and Mattingly, Carolyn, "Collaborative Research: North East Cyberinfrastructure Consortium" (2014). University of Maine Office of Research Administration: Grant Reports. 14.