Melissa Waterman, Editor
Patrice McCarron, President
Antonia Pelletier, Programs and Development
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance
Landings content emphasizes science, history, resource sustainability, economic development, and human interest stories related to
Maine’s lobster industry. The newsletter emphasizes lobstering as a traditional, majority-European American lifeway with an economic and social heritage unique to the coast of Maine. The publication focuses how ongoing research to engage in sustainable, non-harmful, and non-wasteful commercial fishing practices benefit both the fishery and Maine's coastal legacy.
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance (MLCA) started publication of Landings, a 24-page newsletter in January 2013 as the successor of the Maine Lobstermen’s Association (MLA) Newsletter. As of 2022, the MLCA published over 6,500 copies of the monthly newsletter for distribution by mail to all of Maine’s commercial lobstermen, Maine state government agency staff, Maine Legislators, members of Maine's U.S. Congressional delegation, subscribers, and marine businesses.
For more information, please visit the Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance (MLCA) website.
Headlines in this issue include:
- The New Whale Rules...How Did We Get Here?
- Tariff, Economic Relief Come to Lobstermen
- Some good news arrives for Maine lobstermen
- Governor Mills Moves Forward on Offshore Wind Development
- Maine Aqua Ventus Gains Corporate Support
- Maine Lobstermen’s Association Update
- Draft Whale Rules
- Bait Update
- USDA Relief for Lobster Industry
- EPA Designates Isles of Shoals as Dredge Disposal Site
- Mock lobster, Fitbugs May Buoy Profits
- DMR Aquaculture Lease Application Status for October (as of 9/28/20)
- Diabetes, a silent killer
- Lobster Zone Councils’ Sub-Committees Recommend Conservation Equivalencies, Part of Whale Plan
- Summary of Conservation Equivalency Proposals for Maine Lobster Zones September 2020
- Major Change in Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Menhaden Management
- Sea Grant American Lobster Initiative Receives Second Year of Funding
- Feds Deny Application for Portland Dredging Money
- ORPC Signs Agreement with Eastport
- Underwater Gliders Listen for Right Whales
- DMR Also Listens for Right Whales
- Friendship Trap Owner Passes Away [Christopher Scott Anderson]
- Big Boats Navigate the Maine Coast this Summer
- Finding the Fun in Fundraising for the MLA
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance, "Landings, vol. 28, no. 10" (2020). Landings: News & Views from Maine's Lobstering Community. 91.
This copy of Landings was harvested as an open-access publication from the Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance website by Library Specialist Kimberly Sawtelle in 2022.
Landings is published monthly. It is provided for free to all Maine lobstermen thanks to the support of newsletter sponsors.
publisher's version of the published document
Rights and Access Note
This item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this item in any way that is permitted by the copyright. Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher.