Melissa Waterman, Editor
Patrice McCarron, President
Sarah Paquette, Executive Assistant
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance
Landings content emphasizes science, history, resource sustainability, economic development, and human interest stories related to
Maine’s lobster industry. The newsletter emphasizes lobstering as a traditional, majority-European American lifeway with an economic and social heritage unique to the coast of Maine. The publication focuses how ongoing research to engage in sustainable, non-harmful, and non-wasteful commercial fishing practices benefit both the fishery and Maine's coastal legacy.
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance (MLCA) started publication of Landings, a 24-page newsletter in January 2013 as the successor of the Maine Lobstermen’s Association (MLA) Newsletter. As of 2022, the MLCA published over 6,500 copies of the monthly newsletter for distribution by mail to all of Maine’s commercial lobstermen, Maine state government agency staff, Maine Legislators, members of Maine's U.S. Congressional delegation, subscribers, and marine businesses.
For more information, please visit the Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance (MLCA) website.
Headlines in this issue include:
- Preparing for the Future
- Study Looks at Effects of Lobster Traps on Cod
- Lobster Season Defies Lobster Forecast
- The mystery of price, finally answered!
- Capital Construction Fund helps fisherman save money
- Bangor International Airport Offers Opportunities, Obstacles for Lobster Shippers
- Building a Better Lobster Trap
- Membership Update
- DMR Hearings on Statewide Double Tagging, Changes to Swans Island Conservation Area
- DMR Schedules Public Hearing on Pen Bay Closure
- Maine Lobstermen’s Association Update
- New Methods in Place for Herring Spawning Closures
- Why Signing up for Health Insurance is a Good Investment
- Jonah Crab Survey Underway
- First Offshore Wind Farm Begins Operation in October
- Predicted Number of Hurricanes up for this Year
- Monument to Fishermen Dedicated in Lubec
- Gloucester Fish Processor Turns to Lobster
- DMR Launches Online Licensing System
- Keep Pace with Maine’s Lobster Stocks: DMR’s Sea Samplers
Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance, "Landings, vol. 24, no. 9" (2016). Landings: News & Views from Maine's Lobstering Community. 43.
This copy of Landings was harvested as an open-access publication from the Maine Lobstermen’s Community Alliance website by Library Specialist Kimberly Sawtelle in 2022.
Landings is published monthly. It is provided for free to all Maine lobstermen thanks to the support of newsletter sponsors.
publisher's version of the published document
Rights and Access Note
This item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this item in any way that is permitted by the copyright. Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher.