Download Collection Finding Aid (211 KB)
WLBZ began as a "hobby" radio station in 1921. Regular broadcasting began in 1922. The first official licensed broadcast was made from a chicken coop on December 30, 1926 in Dover-Foxcroft. The station moved to Bangor and was purchased by Acton Communications in 1978 and became WACZ. In 1983, the station became WZON when it was acquired by Stephen and Tabitha King.
The collection includes administrative and marketing-related documents dated 1926 through the 1970s. Photographs and publications also document the station's history. A bulk of the records are station traffic logs dating 1931-1957, providing information about programming, promotions, music, and technical data related to operation of the station's transmitter.
Business and Industry, Performing Arts, Social Life and Customs, Science and Technology
Mass Communication | Radio | United States History
Size of Collection
88 boxes (48 linear feet)
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0608
Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine, "WLBZ Radio Station Records, 1926-2015" (2020). Finding Aids. Number 490.