Download Collection Finding Aid (84 KB)
The Foreign Languages Institute was organized by the University of Maine’s Department of Foreign Languages and Classics and financed by a grant from the U.S. Office of Education under provisions of Title XI of the National Defense Education Act as amended in 1964. The Institute was held at the University of Maine during the summer months from 1959 to 1968. A mix of faculty taught at the summer institute including from the University of Maine's Department of Foreign Languages and Classics. Attendees came from across the nation, but predominately from Maine.
In 1959, Robert N. Rioux, Associate Professor of Romance Languages was appointed the first director of the Institute. Rioux was replaced in 1965 by Dr. E. Wesley O'Neill, Associate Professor at the University of Maine. O'Neill held the director position until 1968 when the program closed.
Education, Languages and Literature
Size of Collection
Dates of Collection
UA RG 0007.008
Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine, "Institute in Foreign Languages (University of Maine) Records" (2017). Finding Aids. Number 350.