The R/V Half-Moon moored off of Wentworth Point at the Darling Marine Center in the 1960s. The 43 foot schooner, built by Harvey Gamage of South Bristol in 1926, could be used for water sampling, current measuring, and student training. It's Graymarine engine provided it with a limited cruising radius. That range was extended indefinitely by the use of its dacron sails. The research vessel was a gift of William P. Drake of Philadelphia. He maintained a summer home in Bath and was president of the Pennsalt Chemicals Corporation. Rows of Ira Darling's trees can be seen on the shore in the background. (Courtesy of Dr. Jim Blake)
Darling Marine Center, University of Maine, Walpole Maine, South Bristol Maine, marine research laboratory, marine station, marine science station.