An image scanned from a black and white photograph of the Engel Mill in Orono, Maine. On the 1889 Sanborn fire insurance maps for Orono, the location of the mill is described as "at Webster 3/4 Mile E. of P. O." The name associated with the location seems to change to J. M. Pierce & Co. by 1918, and the site no longer appears on the Sanborn maps for 1929.
Requested credit line: Image courtesy of Special Collections, Raymond H.
Fogler Library, DigitalCommons@UMaine,
MS 248, Barbara Dunn Hitchner Papers
Orono, Maine, Penobscot County, mills, factories, lumbering industry