An image scanned from a black and white photograph in the Thoreau Fellowship papers. A note attached to the photograph indicates that this is the Medway Hotel, Fiske house. Thoreau stopped at this site on his first trip to the north woods in 1846. The back part of the structure was a log cabin at that time; the front part of the hotel was built later. The original cabin had been built in 1842. The home was given to the Thoreau Fellowship by Judy Fiske Theriault in 1971.
Requested credit line: Image courtesy of Special Collections, Raymond H.
Fogler Library, DigitalCommons@UMaine,
MS 499, Thoreau Fellowship Records
Medway, Maine, Henry David Thoreau, hotels, north woods