An image scanned from a color postcard depicting the Fort Point Light on Penobscot Bay near Stockton Springs, Maine. Undated.
Fort Point Light was constructed in 1834 from $5,000 appropriated by the United States Congress. The light was long used to guide ships hauling potatoes and timber from Washington County.
In the background is the Wassaumkeag Hotel, constructed in 1872 and affording luxurious accommodations.
Requested credit line: Image courtesy of Special Collections, Raymond H.
Fogler Library, DigitalCommons@UMaine,
MS 420, Pottle Postcard Collection
Maine, Penobscot Bay, Fort Point, Stockton Springs, Fort Point Light, Wassaumkeag Hotel, hotel, lighthouses, bays, points, postcard