Download Collection Finding Aid (272 KB)
The records of 40 small electric power companies later acquired by Central Maine Power Company make up this collection.
Each company forms its own record group within the collection, and companies are listed in the order in which they were acquired by CMP. Records of only a few companies date after their acquisition by Central Maine Power. The earliest acquisition, of the Sebasticook Water Power Company, took place in 1911, the latest, of the Casco Bay Light and Power Company, took place in 1965.
Most companies have only a few volumes of records, reflecting their short existence before being acquired by CMP. The Kennebec Light and Heat Company, Androscoggin Electric Company, Cumberland County Power and Light Company, and Rumford Light Company have more extensive holdings.
Records for each company are primarily financial and include cashbooks, daybooks, voucher registers, journals, and ledgers. Payroll records, purchasing records, and operating journals are included for a few companies. Some companies have ledgers and balance sheets that reflect their finances and activities at the time of their mergers with CMP.
Information for each company, including a brief history and list of contents, follows. Each company also has a separate record in URSUS, the Library's on-line catalog, therefore its assigned manuscript number is included in its description. In addition, the ledger number used as a location identifier has been added to each description.
Business and Industry
Size of Collection
7 record cartons (79.5 linear feet)
Dates of Collection
1883-1965, bulk 1902-1928
SpC MS 1008
Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine, "Central Maine Power Company Collection, 1883-1965" (2015). Finding Aids. Number 13.